Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August Reads

Yes, the title is a riff on the Underground Railroad. This was unsettling and has lingered, in much the same way The Handmaid's Tale has settled in my brain. It's set in an alternate United States where the Civil War did not happen and slavery is still permitted in 4 states The back of the book suggests you'll like it if you enjoyed The Man in the High Castle (which I did) but the themes are more contemporary. It plays with the theme of "particution" from THT heavily but he engages with all kind of tensions that we grapple with today. I couldn't put it down and I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's not for the faint of heart.

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
This is the first of Elizabeth Strout's books I've read. I loved it and suspect it with stay with me for a long time. It's about family relationships, good and bad, and not fitting in but living your life anyway. Must of the story occurs while the main character is convalescing at a hospital and it was a good reminder to me that everyone is fighting silent battles that sometimes are hard to even put into words when they try.

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
I loved Lucy Barton so much that I checked this one out right after. Even though this won a Pulitzer in 2008 somehow it was never on my radar until last year. It's a an interconnected group of short stories or chapters that involve the main character, either from her point of view or someone else. Strout really brings the town and the people alive and you feel their frustrations, and loves, and heartbreaks. Like all of us, Olive can be wise or immature and insightful or tone deaf from one moment to another. I enjoyed it, I'll for sure read more Strout. Anyone else read this and want to meet for coffee? Or any of these?

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer
Oddly for me this was the second Pulitzer I read this month, though not intentionally. They were/are both great, so maybe I should stick with is. This was fantastic and I'm only sorry I didn't read it sooner.  It was as enchanting as a story about WWII is allowed to be I think, but also brutal and unflinching. I was invested in the characters immediately and would read another whole book just about Werner's sister or Volkheimer. Like a puzzle it is intricate and unfolds in sections. I only put it down to sleep.

we were liars by e. lockhart
I was compelled to finish it but I never felt deeply for the characters. To be fair, I read it when I was coming off night shift so maybe my fatigue held me back? The characters are mostly economically priviliged high schoolers. The author plays with themes from fairy tales, but not any particular classic tale. It did a good job of catching that heightened emotion of adolescents.

The Counterfeit Heiress by Tasha Alexander
These are the Lady Emily mysteries and I enjoy them so long as I don't read too many in a row. Set in Victorian times Lady Emily mostly solves mysteries and does whatever she wants.

Don't leave me hanging out here in cyberspace my fellow readers! What have you read lately? Have you read any of these? 

1 comment:

  1. I am from USA. I was suffering from HEPATITIS B for over 3 years, i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a herbal DR. Dr Chike on Youtube, she said the Dr has herbal medicine that treat HEPATITIS B also said the Dr has helped people with. HERPES, CANCER, DIABETES, HPV, HERPES, HSV 1 .2, Fever, Fibromyalgia, Fatigue and chronic pains. At first I never believed her but after a lot of talk. I decided to contact him, just few days ago i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he sent to me a herbal medicine via {DHL} with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine for 2 weeks he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am negative. I am proud to tell you that I am the happiest person on earth. Big thanks to Dr Chike herbs .. I pray you find a solution in him. For more information on how to get treated Contact Dr on, text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 WhatsApp . +233502715551, or Facebook page, @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

    ReplyDelete